Cabinet reshuffle: Jonathan decides ministers’ fate this week
by Olalekan Adetayo, Abuja
 |
President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan | credits: www.date360.net |
Ministers,
who have been living in anxiety since news broke of imminent minor
cabinet reshuffle by President Goodluck Jonathan may learn their fate
this week when the President returns from his overseas trip.
The President, who left Abuja last
Tuesday for engagements in London, Paris and Egypt, is expected back in
the country on Monday (today) evening.
Since the President sent the names of
Prof. Chinedu Nebo and Alhaji Taminu Turaki to the Senate for
confirmations as ministers, there have been fears among ministers that
Jonathan might reshuffle his cabinet.
While Nebo was appointed from Enugu
State to replace former Minister of Power, Prof. Berth Nnaji in the
Federal Executive Council, Jonathan picked Turaki from Kebbi State to
replace a former Minister of Defence, Dr. Haliru Bello.
Indications that cabinet reshuffle was
imminent further emerged when the Secretary to the Government of the
Federation, Senator Pius Anyim, assigned portfolios to the new ministers
after their inauguration.
While Nebo was assigned the Ministry of
Power, Turaki was assigned to the Special Duties Ministry, leaving the
Ministry of Defence still without a substantive minister.
A source in the Presidency told our
correspondent on Sunday that with the assignment of portfolios to the
new ministers, all states of the federation were fully represented in
the FEC as required by the constitution.
The source added that with the position
of the Minister of Defence still vacant, it is clear that the President
would redeploy some ministers.
He said, “The constitution stipulates
that all states of the federation should have representatives in the
Federal Executive Council.
“With the exit of Bello and Nnaji in
2012, the President decided to fill those van acids so that their states
would not be short-changed so to say.
“With the assumption of duties of Nebo
and Turaki now, the FEC now has a full complement of representatives of
all the states and those appointed based on geo-political appointments.
“Despite this, the position of the
Minister of Defence is still vacant. That tells you that some ministers
may have to swap positions.”
It is believed that Jonathan may move a minister to the Ministry of Defence and upgrade the Minister of State in the ministry.
Lately, names of the Minister of Police
Affairs, Navy Capt Caleb Olubolade (retd.); Minister of the Federal
Capital Territory, Senator Bala Muhammed; and the Minister of Niger
Delta Affairs, Mr. Godsday Orubebe, are been mentioned as likely new
Minister of Power.
Although there are also speculation that
Jonathan was considering upgrading the Minister or State, Defence, Mrs.
Olusola Obada who, has been in charge of the ministry since Bello’s
exit, an insider said many people who had the ears of the President are
against a female Minister of Defence.
They were said to have argued that a
female minister at this time of security challenge in the country would
be counter-productive.
Insiders said all the permutations would probably be laid to rest this week when the President returns from his foreign trip.
Though the ministers thought Jonathan
would announce the reshuffle last week Wednesday, the weekly FEC
meeting, which did not hold, shattered that hope.
It is now expected that the President may announce the changes latest by Wednesday when the next FEC is expected to hold.
Source:Punch
No comments:
Post a Comment